Colonia del Sacramento's historic Bastion of Carmen can be found on Rivadavia Street, right in front of the port. There is evidence that it was constructed as early as 1880 when the Portuguese arrived. As a military stronghold, the location was vital for repelling the Spanish invasion against the indigenous Charra people.
The catacombs were initially designed for warfare, hence their massive size and impressive solidity. This, together with the numerous reforms and restoration initiatives, has kept it in remarkably good shape. It is because it is one of the oldest structures in Colonia del Sacramento that has been observed in such good condition. Seeing the ancient halls, vaults, and masonry makes visitors feel like they've stepped into another era.
© Dan Kosmayer, 2011