Rear-wheel covered by a detachable fender skirt on 1956 Lincoln Capri
The rear wheel fender skirt or shields was initially introduced in 1932 by Graham-Page's well-built and highly-respected classic vehicles. These rear wheel fender skirts partially covered the rear whitewall tire and were quite popular in the 1950s and 1960s. For example, on the old classic car 1956 Lincoln Capri, the rear wheel fender skirts could be detached from the vintage car to change tires. Consumers viewed the vehicle's rear-wheel covering as pleasing to the eye and aerodynamic. But by the 1970s, American automobile manufacturers removed them from their production cars.